Thursday, January 25, 2007

Heartache

There is a 3 year old little boy missing. He was being babysat by a relative and his dad came to pick him up last night around 6:00. His dad put him in his carseat in the mini-van and then went back inside to get his younger sibling. When the dad came back outside, Loic (Loh-ick) was gone. This all happened less than 1/2 mile away from our home. They called the police right away and, by the time we were notified at 9:00, there were over 50 people + police + firemen + dogs out looking for him. We joined in. There has been no sign of him. There is a creek in the area that leads to an aquifer. We are socked in with incredibly dense freezing fog. It got down to 20 degrees last night. He is wearing a winter coat and hat but has no gloves. There is a huge part of me that doesn't think he wandered off. I think he was snatched.

It's 1/2 mile away from my house. How many times has Little Boy been playing outside and I've run into the house to grab something? Just for a minute? Just turned my back? How must his dad and mom be feeling right now?

I am heartbroken for them. I just want their son happy and safe. The town we live in is still very small town mentality. Bad things are not supposed to happen here. The whole town is rallying. But what can we do? Offer our help searching, of course. Make coffee, absolutely. But how does that truly help them? How does that take away the pit in their stomachs?

I will hold my boys tighter and keep them closer. I will not turn my back. For awhile. And then we will get comfortable again. And forget. Why are there bad people? How can someone look at a 3 year old baby boy and want to hurt them?

I don't understand. I am heartsick.

3 comments:

Well-heeled mom said...

Very, very sad. I hope he is found safe.

Robin said...

I live in terror of doing something as simple as this man did and something like that happening. It's horrifying and impossible to understand why anyone could or would want to hurt a child.

I pray he is found safe and sound.

Slinger said...

Damn, that made me sad. I too have this fear when my kids are outside. Keep us posted.